Dealing With Acne and Its Aftermath
November 28, 2016
Acne is an unwanted nuisance that many of us encounter. Whether on the face or body, bad or recurrent breakouts can cause you to feel self-conscious about your appearance. And even when that breakout clears up, you can still be plagued by the scars left behind. No one wants to live with acne and its aftereffects. Fortunately, the Masri Clinic offers a variety of treatments to improve your acne and acne scars and make you feel confident and secure in your appearance once again. Microdermabrasion, photodynamic therapy, and chemical peels are just a few of the treatments that we offer to help you win this battle!
What is Acne?We have all experienced acne at one point in our lives. Though most common during adolescence, acne can occur at any age, including adulthood. The sebum oil layer is deep within the skin and can be aggravated by numerous things. The foods that we eat as well as our choice of drinks can greatly influence and aggravate the oil glands. Certain foods such as chocolate and caffeine have been proven to be agitators. In addition, stressful life events can cause acne. When acne develops, the bacteria plugs the follicles in the skin, causing acne to form. When the follicle is blocked a white head will form, but when it is not blocked a blackhead will form. Depending on the severity of the acne, there are numerous products that can be utilized to treat acne, including oral and topical antibiotics, exfoliants, topical cleaners, and comedolytics. There are other treatments that can be completed in an office setting that can also be helpful. Microdermabrasion can assist with acne and acne scars. Photodynamic therapy and chemical peels can also be used to treat acne.
Skin Renewal with MicrodermabrasionMicrodermabrasion is a great way to revive and refresh the skin and get rid of acne. Microdermabrasion is often referred to as the “California Peel”. This treatment is often combined with other treatments, such as laser treatments, for improved results. The treatment is non-invasive, safe for all skin types and generally very affordable. It also does not use harsh chemicals or acids on the face which assists in making it painless and quicker to recover from. The microdermabrasion treatment utilizes a stream of aluminum oxide crystals that are pointed to the skin which allows any tiny particles of debris to be removed. Any dead skin or residue will then be removed and vacuumed away with the crystals. This leaves the skin vibrant and new. Now that the dead areas of skin are removed, the face will appear healthier and renewed. The treatment can take up to forty minutes and can be completed in the office setting. Results can be affected by the condition of the skin both prior to and after treatment. The skin may become slightly red after the treatment has been performed, but this will fade within a few hours. Due to the procedure being non-invasive, regular activities can be resumed immediately. The results will be observed after just one treatment; however, two treatments are often recommended to achieve optimal results. Microdermabrasion treatments are great for individuals who have dull, sun-damaged, flaky, sensitive, dry, or acne-prone skin. The vibrancy that the treatment can give you will eliminate any debris or bacteria that could develop into more acne. If deep acne scars exist, dermabrasion may be needed. Dermabrasion is a more intensive procedure that thins the skin as it removes scarring. Dermabrasion of the skin can treat wrinkles, scars, uneven texture, pigmentation problems, and acne pitting. Laser resurfacing is often utilized more frequently than dermabrasion because better results can be produced and less downtime is required. Laser resurfacing does not thin the skin as dermabrasion does, and the procedure can be completed multiple times.
Photodynamic TherapyPhotodynamic therapy is a new treatment that is now being performed more often. This therapy utilizes aminoleyulinic acid to treat damaged skin. Once this acid is applied to the skin, a wavelength of light that is either an LED blue light or an Intense Pulsed Light is placed over the area. This allows an inflammatory reaction to occur where the surface becomes red. The reaction will make the skin smooth and healthier. The uneven skin will decrease and new collagen will naturally form and thicken. Photodynamic therapy is not only great for treating active acne but it can also assist in treating sun damaged skin, precancerous conditions, and pigmentation problems that are caused by the sun. Broken capillaries can also be treated. The skin can swell and a mild burning feeling can occur. The sun should be avoided after treatment, and the redness will subside after one week. After treatment, the skin will appear smoother and healthier. The sunspots and uneven skin will decrease as new collagen is naturally formed and the skin thickens again. Multiple treatments may need to be performed to achieve optimal results, but they should be spaced at least three weeks apart.
Chemical PeelsChemical peels are a great way to improve the tone and texture of your skin as well as improve acne. Mild chemical peel treatments do not require any downtime and allow for a fast and easy solution to your acne problems. A small amount of redness may occur, but the skin will improve over the following days after the treatment was completed. There are numerous varieties of chemical peels that you can choose from.
- Glycolic Acid Peel- This peel utilizes glycolic acid which is a natural acid found in grapefruit. The acid can be mixed to various concentrations that can assist in improving acne and lines on the face. This peel is typically performed on a weekly basis for six weeks. The glycolic acid peel can be administered at home without a physician. This is only done when the acid is mixed as a light concentration. A huge benefit to utilizing this natural acid is that women who are pregnant can utilize this peel as it will not produce any harm to the baby.
- TCA Peel-This peel can greatly assist with removing wrinkles that are a medium depth in the skin. The concentration of the peel can be altered. When a high concentration is utilized, more downtime can be required and the patient may be unable to immediately return to work.
- Phenol Peel- This peel can create dramatic results and remove deep wrinkles. It does require an extended time for recovering.
- Jessner Peel-This peel involves a solution that can revitalize the skin and make it appear new again. The peel is found to produce amazing results when seeking rejuvenation.
- Lactic and Carbolic Peel- These peels can assist in improving fine lines and medium wrinkles. The peels are considered to be a light to medium depth.
- Hydroquinone Peel- This peel can be mixed to different concentrations depending on the issue that is trying to be corrected. The peel can remove freckles and lighten and blend skin color. Depending on the goal that is being sought, it can be formulated as a high intensity concentration or a low one to assist with acne.