| A chemical peel uses a solution applied to the skin to remove dead skin cells and stimulate the production of new skin cells.
Chemical peels have been used safely for over 100 years. There are numerous medications available for improving the skin tone and color. A lot of these medications can be done without losing any time off work. They produce minimal redness however they improve the quality of the skin over a span of a few days. Among the most popular chemical peels are:
- Glycolic Peel: Glycolic acid is naturally found in grapefruit. This material used in different concentrations can be used to improve acne and fine
lines. The procedure is inexpensive and can be repeated on weekly basis for one skin cycle (6 weeks) or more. Lighter concentrations
of Glycolic peels can be used by the patient at home on a weekly basis.
Peel: The Refinity peel is a buffered acid, which results in much less redness and irritation
despite its strength and results in younger, healthier looking skin.
It is commonly used for treatment of acne and fine lines.
- Jessner Peel: This is a solution that has been used for years to revitalize the skin. It results
in minimal redness for the first 2 or 3 days and produces excellent results for skin rejuvenation.
- Lactic & Carbolic Peels: These peels are considered to be light to medium depth.
They help improve fine to medium depth wrinkles, and do not necessitate any
time off from work.
- Hydroquinone Peel: These can be done at different concentrations for the purpose of removing freckles and lightening and blending skin color. Associated with minimal redness for
a couple of days.
- Obagi® Blue Peel: This is a controlled depth peel.
It can be used for fine, medium or deep wrinkles depending on the concentration and with very predictable results.
- TCA Peel: Use of different concentrations will give excellent results for medium depth to deep wrinkles. The higher concentration peels will require one to two weeks time off work.
- Phenol Peel: This is reserved for very deep wrinkles and would require an extended period of recovery.